Build Your Own Xylophone
Do you drive your teachers crazy at school by drumming on the desk with your pencils? Have you ever wanted to be a drummer or a musician? If so, this activity is for you.
What You Need
- An adult to help
- Different lengths of PVC pipes
- Two boards
- A mallet or small hammer
What You Do
- Create a xylophone by cutting PVC pipe into various lengths.
- Place them side by side on a frame from the longest to shortest.
- Cut two boards the appropriate length to accomadate all the pipes. These boards will make a good supporting frame. The best sound will be achieved by allowing a little less than a third of each pipe to extend off the frame. When you have the pipes the way that you want, tie them on the frame with string.
- You can tune your xylophone by cutting the pipes shorter for higher notes and leaving the pipes longer for the lower ones.
- Play the xylophone by striking the pipes with a mallet of some kind.